Buzet and its area have been inhabited since ancient times. Illyrian tribes inhabited these areas in the Bronze Age when they began to build hilltop settlements surrounded by walls.
From AD 177 to AD 476 the area was under the Roman rule, which was followed by Byzantine rule and after the great movement of the peoples came the Croats and Slovenes. At the end of the 8th century Istria was under the rule of the Franks, who Foto: Karla Krbavčić introduced the feudal system.
Buzet recognized the rule of the Aquileian Patriarch up until 1497, and from that year until 1797 it was under Venetian rule. After the fall of the fort Rašpor, Buzet became the base of the Venetian military commander of the area which had a significant impact on Buzet. It was the time when crafts developed, great care was taken about possible enemy attacks, providing arms and fortifying the town walls. Small well was renovated, large and small gates were built as well as the new parish chrurch of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. After the fall of the Venetian Republic, Istria came under Austrian rule, which lasted until 1918.
In the 19th and beginning of 20th century, within the national revival, the struggle for equality of the Croatian people was carried out in the field of politics, culture, economy and education. In 1887 the municipality of Buzet came under Croatian rule with Fran Flego as its first mayor.
The bronze earring, known as the Buzet Earring in archaeological literature, was predominantly found in the early Middle Ages in the graves of the native as well as Romanized Illyrian-Celtic people in the area between the Adriatic coasts and the Alps, especially in northern Istria between Buzet and the west coast. In the literature the earring appears in the 7th and 8th centuries.
The Buzet Earring has been listed in the Cultural Heritage Register of the Republic of Croatia under the entry RRI-118 since 23rd October, 1968, while its samples have been kept in the Regional Museum of Buzet.
A silver replica of the Buzet Earring has been created as an original souvenir of Buzet in a joined project of the Municipiality of Buzet, Buzet Tourist Association, Regional Museum of Buzet and the local “A.Vivoda” Cultural Centre.