Ćićarija is the large area covered with meadows and woods that stretches northwest of Buzet. Wood from this area was used to make oars in Venice. The harsh climate renders agriculture impossible, so life in this part of Istria has always been connected with sheep-farming. The inhabitants of Ćićarija known as Ćići were known for the production of coal which was then sold in all parts of Istria, even Trieste and Rijeka. The present-day villages of Æiæarija are mostly very peaceful and almost completely abandoned, perfect for rest and relaxation.
Today Lanišće is both the center of Ćićarija and the Community of Lanišće with a population of about 400. The village nestles on a slope below Mount Orljak (1106 m) and is dominated by the church of St. Cantian dating from 1927.