The museum was founded in 1961 and until 1975 functioned as an independent institution. From the very beginnings it has preserved its features of a regional or municipal museum, so most of the exhibits have been collected in the Buzet area.
The Regional Museum is housed in the Bigatto Palace in the old town dating from 1639. It houses a permanent display of archaeological stone monuments, ethnographic collection and gallery for organizing art exhibitions and concerts. There are also exhibitions entitled "Anti-fascist battle in the Buzet area" and "Petrapilosa Castle – traces of frescoes from the chapel of St. Mary Magdalene".
Within the museum complex is a hall for temporary exhibitions, arts and crafts workshops, as well as library and photograph archives. One of the most interesting museum exhibits is the Buzet earring.
Opening hours - July and August:
Mon - Fri 9am - 3pm, 5pm - 8pm
Admission: adults – 15.00 kn, children and groups – 10.00 kn.
Old craftsmen workshops
Visit one of the preserved old craftsmen workshops of the Regional Museum of the City of Buzet.
Contains a hand-operated machine for making combs made of horns of the typical Istrian ox boškarin, needed tools and products. It is the only comb-making shop of this kind in Istria.
Blacksmith and wagon maker's trade
contains original tools and products of the blacksmith and wagon maker's shop, situated in the onetime town blacksmith's shop.
Old town bakery
Located in the authentic building with original baker's oven where bread and other products were once baked.